We are looking for an enthusiastic and inspirational Chemistry Teacher to join our Science department at Sherrardswood School, in Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
Founded in 1928, Sherrardswood School is a highly regarded and successful independent co-educational day school with approximately 360 pupils aged 2 to 18. Our location and beautiful grounds provide the ideal setting for creating a secure and happy atmosphere, which encourages each child to develop their gifts and unlock their potential.
The Science department is a large and successful department within our school with a track record of excellent results. Our students thrive in an exceptionally positive learning environment and enjoy many opportunities for practical work, industry and museum visits to enhance their learning.
To manage pupil learning through effective teaching in accordance with the Department’s schemes of work and policies.
- To use a variety of methods and approaches (including differentiation) to match curricular objectives and the range of pupil needs, and ensure equal opportunity for all pupils.
- To set homework regularly, (in accordance with the School homework policy), to consolidate and extend learning and to encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own learning.
- To work with SEN staff and support staff (including prior discussion and joint planning) in order to benefit from their specialist knowledge and to maximise their effectiveness within lessons.
- To work effectively as a member of the Department team to improve the quality of teaching and learning, developing and sharing resources.
- To set high expectations for all pupils, to deepen their knowledge and understanding and to maximise their achievement.
- To use positive management of behaviour in an environment of mutual respect which allows pupils to feel safe and secure and promotes their self-esteem.
- To take lead responsibility for a form group, including communication with the parents, monitoring progress, mentoring, report writing, planning and delivering appropriate and valuable form time activities and assemblies in line with the guidance given by the Pastoral Leader. Supporting the welfare of the students in school.
- To work across Science subjects where appropriate and liase with colleagues to ensure high standards in every lesson delivered.
- To take responsibility for the Health and Safety, Fire Regulations, safe management and ordering of resources to deliver effective and safe lessons.
- To undertake and maintain current First Aid training
- To ensure continuity, progression and cohesiveness in all teaching.
- You must have an evident passion for the subject and a desire to drive the department forward
- You will hold a strong degree in a relevant discipline
- Have experience of working with young people (preferably within an educational context)
- The ideal candidate will have experience in the marking of GCSE/A-Level examination scripts
- Have a thorough and up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the programmes of study, level descriptors in use and specifications for examination courses
Keep up to date with research and developments in pedagogy and the subject area
- Confident at communicating with parents, students and colleagues and building strong relationships
- A positive role model
If you feel that this post may be of interest to you, we would warmly welcome your application (Sherrardswood School is happy to welcome applications from NQT's). If you require any additional information please do not hesitate to contact the school directly.
Working Hours: Term-Time only, Monday-Friday
Closing Date: 30th September 2021
Benefits: Wellness Programme, Life Assurance, On-Site Parking, Company Pension
Salary: Competitive Salary, Commensurate on Experience
To find out more about this role, please read the Job Description.
How to Apply
Sherrardswood School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants for all jobs will undergo appropriate child-protection screening including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to enhanced level, costs covered by the company. Sherrardswood School is an equal opportunities employer